Friday 28 August 2009

This whole saga started when I noticed the high emotions surrounding the Madeleine McCann Case. I lecture and research in Social Psychology and have a particular interest in fixed belief systems – how they start and how they are defended. The dramatic arguments between the groups that became known as the Pros and the Antis in the McCann Case were excellent material for recording the initiation, growth, continuation and decline of belief systems and particular sub-system beliefs.
I have posted very occasionally on Discussion Boards but have used PMs and emails at great frequency and length to discuss posters' emotions, beliefs and actions.

Debunker and I
Early on in my research I made contact with the poster known mainly as DeBunker. He used many identities to promulgate his ideas and to play his games. He too had an interest in such belief systems and claimed also to lecture in the subject, although I never confirmed that and have some doubts about his credentials. His methods were much more oriented toward participant observation whereas mine were simple observation and recording. He delighted in debating or tricking people into corners by intellectual or Machiavellian argument. We regularly emailed each other about what was happening and what we thought was the prime motivation behind each shift in system belief and group actions. He talked a good game for someone who I saw as a bit of an amateur, but was always charming, amusing and a discriminating observer of the goings-on. I am indebted to him for some insights into the behaviours that were witnessed.
We corresponded over a period of some eighteen months and I built up a pen picture of him- near retirement, good lay knowledge of the Law, of social psychology and group behaviour, health services and other social structures. He seemed libertarian- left inclined but sceptical of political action, and someone who in private correspondence spoke often of his Christian beliefs and how what he called ‘simple Christianity’ (What Would Jesus Do?’) motivated him. He publicly denied his Christianity regularly so as not to get tarred with the fluffy Christian approach adopted by some Pros. His background was both British and American- educated in both countries and careers in both; I was convinced of this.
I did a great deal of research into DeBunker’s background but largely drew a blank- ending up with throw away emails and false names with no web presence, or if a web presence did exist, it quickly became obvious that they were false trails laid for potential investigators’ amusement and frustration.


Beachy and I

Later in my researches I came across Beachy- supposedly a retired law enforcement officer with a penchant for rallying the troops on the Anti side. Her (?His) posts were erudite, knowledgeable, amusing and witty. More serious than DeBunker and firmly on the other side, she was in some ways a mirror to Debunker and he a mirror to her. They rarely crossed each other’s paths (although ReMaker as one of DeBunker’s socks did engage her at some length in discussions about the ins and outs of British and European Law- a battle that fizzled out when ReMaker was banned from the 3arguidos.
We corresponded regularly by email over the last year and discussed the case in depth. Whereas with DeBunker, social issues were to the fore, Beachy was more interested in the Moral and Legal aspects of the case. In discussion of the boards she was much less ‘Anti’ than she maintained. She was certainly well versed in US criminal procedure although her knowledge of British Law was less impressive. Her background was surprisingly similar to DeBunker’s- educated in the US and the UK, about the same age and with a similar level of apparent intelligence and base brass neck!
I researched her background and found a clear picture from the web of a sixty year old woman with an interest in Genealogy (Indian roots) and marriage into a well known family of lawyers and journalists and a believable history going back over several decades. A committed Christian, a liberal by US standards, and a believable set of knowledge and experience (although not apparently a front line police officer.)

Beachy and DeBunker
I discussed Beachy with DeBunker on a regular basis and he helped me to unravel Beachy’s background. As we did so, clear problems with what she said on line and what the history showed became apparent. No English mother, her Indian ancestors may in fact have been African American, and some of the tales she told seemed to contradict evidence from the web!
Beachy was unwilling to discuss DeBunker- saying that she was not interested in giving Trolls and Wind Up Merchants any of her time. When I tried to draw her into conversation about how similar their backgrounds were, she became defensive and argumentative. She was more interested in discussing various cases that connected in some respect to the McCann case.


Me, The Dugard Case, Beachy and DeBunker

One of the cases that we did discuss in depth was the Jaycee Lee Dugard case that exploded into the news today. I tried to engage Beachy in conversation about this case a year or so ago and in doing so claimed some knowledge of California- thinking that this was a risk worth taking as she is a confirmed east-coaster (I would not have taken the same risk with DeBunker as he claims Californian roots-although in his case from the south rather than from the Bay Area.) I claimed to have taught at Berkeley for a couple of Semesters and to have visited Antioch in 1992 soon after the abduction. This seemed of little importance at the time and so was not at the front of my mind. We did discuss the case in some depth, but that is not what is of importance today!
In all of this correspondence I kept dense and careful notes and recorded everything as it happened. My notes show clearly not only what was discussed, but why it was discussed and what was avoided. The case had come into a discussion between DeBunker and myself, but I clearly noted that I feigned ignorance about things American, and especially things Californian in an attempt not to trip myself up!
Yesterday, to my surprise, I was contacted by DeBunker who went into great depth about the Jaycee Lee Dugard case and talked in detail about my time at Berkeley and my visits to Antioch!


What Does This Mean?

How did he know of this.
My only possible conclusion is- Beachy is DeBunker and DeBunker is Beachy.
My annoyance at this subterfuge is justabout outweighed by my amusement.
I was taken for a fool and played the part well!

1 comment: